In 1996, Joe Satriani formed G3, a concert tour featuring three instrumental rock guitarists; originally Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Eric Johnson. The G3 tour has continued periodically since its inaugural version.
Satriani and Vai remain constant members, featured with a floating third member, including:
- Eric Johnson
- Yngwie Malmsteen
- John Petrucci
- Kenny Wayne Shepherd
- Robert Fripp
- Uli Jon Roth
- Michael Schenker
- Adrian Legg
- Paul Gilbert
First concert was held in North America in 1996. Trio included Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Eric Johnson. The stage was set on fire when three forces appeared on the stage, and did a jam session. The show went un-precedent, as no one has seen such an explosion of talent at single platform.
In 1997, G3 went to North America and Europe. This time Joe Satriani, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Robert Fripp, Steve Vai, and Adrian Legg amazed the audience with their extravaganza.
Also in 1997, The G3 – Live in Concert album is released and the fans react well. In Germany and France, the album makes its way onto the charts and in its first week is Epic’s second biggest selling album in Europe. Joe and Steve spend two hours in Paris meeting fans at FNAC, one of the biggest Parisian record stores, and then play a superb show at the Zenith Concert Hall to 5,000 G3 fans.
In 1997 show, a very special night in G3 history was when Brian May is invited to come and sit in on the jam. When he walks onto the stage with other members, the English crowd goes absolutely crazy. With his signature guitar and style, Brian plays the three song jam and takes the level of intensity to a new level.
From 1998 to 2007 G3 performed in the following places with corresponding members.
- 1998 (Europe): Joe Satriani, Michael Schenker, Uli Jon Roth
- 2000 (Rentak Rhythm Of Asia) : Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson
- 2001 (North America): Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci
- 2003 (North America): Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen
- 2004 (Europe/South America): Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Robert Fripp
- 2005 (Japan): Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci
- 2006 (South America): Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Eric Johnson
- 2006 (Australia): Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci
- 2007 (North America): Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert
‘For the Love of God’, has always been an audience favorite at G3 tours, everyone recognize the song within the first tune, and crowd went wild.